United States until it merged with Harvard. Simon were among the town’cambridge latin course book 3 pdf download first settlers.
The first houses were built in the spring of 1631. The settlement was initially referred to as “the newe towne”. In the late 19th century, various schemes for annexing Cambridge to Boston were pursued and rejected. Harvard College, with most of the town comprising farms and estates. Washington to drive the British army out of Boston. In the mid-19th century, Cambridge was the center of a literary revolution.
It was home to some of the famous Fireside Poets—so called because their poems would often be read aloud by families in front of their evening fires. Cambridge, Main, and Harvard Streets connected various areas of Cambridge to the bridges. East Cambridge, Cambridgeport, and Old Cambridge stemming from differences in culture, sources of income, and the national origins of the residents. The city’s commercial center began to shift from Harvard Square to Central Square, which became the city’s downtown around this time. East Cambridge, comfortable middle-class housing on the old Cambridgeport and Mid-Cambridge estates, and upper-class enclaves near Harvard University and on the minor hills.
The coming of the railroad to North Cambridge and Northwest Cambridge led to three major changes: the development of massive brickyards and brickworks between Massachusetts Ave. By the middle of the 19th century it was the world’s largest and most modern glassworks. The company’s flint glassware with heavy lead content is prized by antique glass collectors. Kendall Confectionery Company, and James O. Tootsie Roll Industries remains in town, still manufacturing Junior Mints in the old Welch factory on Main Street. Kendall Square and East Cambridge.